The egg was used in beauty treatments for centuries. Even in Ancient civilizations such as Egypt, India, and China it was used for skin and hair, to achieve some amazing results. It is an item we use regularly in the kitchen and often throw away when we don’t use it. It provides protein and nutrients, does not contain chemicals, and it is not harmful. It also has many health benefits like keeping you away from immune diseases, regulating your normal body functions and reducing the risk of breast cancer.
If you don’t want to pay a fortune on different cosmetic products, using eggs in your beauty treatment is both cost effective and easy to use. You can make many different face and hair masks using just a few ingredients from your kitchen.
Check out these 7 ways in which you can use an egg for beauty treatment.
1. Removing Acne and Blackheads
Acne and blackheads are the common problems with the skin. There are so many products targeted to remove blackheads or acne, some of which are way too expensive. You can always turn to natural ways of treating your skin, not just for saving the money, but because some natural recipes work great. Egg white controls oily skin and prevent the over secretion of oil onto the skin’s surface. Egg white also tightens the pores which bring blackheads out of the skins surface. When applying to the skin make sure to be careful, and perhaps just use your fingers instead a brush, to avoid aggravating the skin. Follow these steps to make your own egg mask for treating acne and blackheads:
- Crack one egg and separate white from yolk. Put egg white in a ceramic bowl and it leave it for a bit so it can thicken. You can use the yolk for something else, like for cooking or hair mask, or just throw it away if you don’t need it.
- Put egg white on your clean face. You can use your fingers if you have sensitive skin, or a lighter brush and cotton swabs.
- Cover your entire face. When you feel it is starting to dry, add one more layer. Do that 3, 4 times, and put more on problematic areas.
- Use thin tissues or toilet paper to put over your face, and then add one more layer on it. Make room for eyes, mouth and nose.
- Let it dry out. You will feel your skin getting tighter.
- Peel the mask off when it dries and wash your face. Most of your blackheads will disappear. And it will also help a lot if you have acne.
Must Read: 11 Things You Do That Cause Acne
2. Moisturizing and Toning Skin
If your skin is dry and looks tired, the egg will help you get back the fresh look. The egg has a good amount of protein, nutrients and cholesterol that can be used to make an excellent moisturizing treatment. Also, you can buy expensive toners anywhere, but isn’t it better to make your own, with an ingredient available in each home? Check out this Cucumber and Egg Face Mask you can make easily on your own. Mixing these two ingredients, you will have enough collagen and vitamin C to help soothe and cool your skin. It can also be used as anti-inflammatory treatment.
You will need: 2 inches of fresh cucumber, 1 egg white, 2 drops of frankincense essential oil
- Blend the cucumber and egg together until you have a nice froth.
- Pour it into a ceramic bowl and add 2 drops of frankincense essential oil
- Before putting it on, use your fingers gently massage your face to get the blood flowing
- Apply the mask and leave it for 15 minutes
- Wash your face and see instant results
3. Lifting The Skin
Egg whites can provide tightening your loose skin and skin pores. Egg white masks are safe and effective, and people with any type of skin can use them regularly. Without the use of chemicals and artificial ingredients, you can make your own mask. You can apply egg white straight to your face but feel free to add other nourishing ingredients for dry and aging skin. Try out this Egg, Avocado and Honey Face Mask:
You will need: 1 egg white, ½ ripe avocado, 1 tablespoon of honey, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 drops of chamomile essential oil
- Mash the avocado and mix the egg white
- Add honey and olive oil. You can also add 2 drops of chamomile essential oil to help soothe and soften the skin
- Apply the mix on face and wait for it to dry
- Rinse with warm water
4. Helping With Oily Skin
Oily skin is a common problem. Sometimes it is easy to eliminate it, but other times you may try many expensive products, and still have oily skin. Egg whites can help you if you have this problem, as well as one more ingredient you can find in your kitchen- lemon. You can use this ingredient as often as you want. This mask is very easy to make and it works amazingly well. So, this is how to make this mask:
You will need: 1 egg white from a larger egg, 2 drops of fresh lemon juice
- Put the egg white in a small bowl.
- Add lemon juice and lightly whisk. Lemon juice will reduce the smell of the egg.
- Clean your face with warm water to open up the pores.
- Gently apply the mixture to your face in circular upward motion. You can use your hands or a brush.
- Wait it dry for about 15-20 minutes. The egg will create a thin layer.
- Wash your face with warm water. You can apply some oil free moisturizer afterward.
5. Bringing Shine to Hair
The Egg yolk treatment is amazing if you have greasy and dull hair. It is helpful with hair conditioning, it increases the strength of the hair and helps with softness and silkiness. You can use just the yolk, or add more natural ingredients to make a killer hair mask. With its properties, honey, olive oil, and green tea might be the perfect combination for this mask. So check out how easy it is to make your own:
You will need: 1 egg yolk, 2 tablespoons of fresh green tea, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, 3 tablespoons of honey
If you have longer hair, you can add one more egg yolk and a tablespoon more of each ingredient.
- Boil the water and add 2 tablespoons of fresh green tea. Wait for it to cool down.
- Mix egg yolk, olive oil, and honey together until frothy.
- Add tea to the mixed ingredients.
- Apply to hair for about 30 minutes. You can wrap a towel around your hair.
- Rinse your hair with warm water and your regular shampoo and hair conditioner.
6 Reducing Eye Bags and Puffiness
Many people are too much exposed to computer or phone screens every day. That makes puffiness around eyes. You can use some natural recipes to make masks that reduce eye bags and make you look fresh and relaxed. Try out this Egg and Carrot Eye Mask. Beta-carotene in carrots will help with regenerating cells and the egg works great in making your skin soft and fresh.
You will need: 1 egg white, 1 tablespoon of shredded carrot, 1 teaspoon of aloe vera
Shred carrot and place all the ingredients in a small bowl
- Mix all the ingredients with a fork for about a minute
- Apply the mask around and under the eyes. You can use a soft brush or your fingers.
- Let it dry out for 15 minutes. You will feel it getting tighter.
- Use the soft and wet towel to rinse it off
Tips: Avoid the eyelids so it doesn’t get into your eyes. You can also apply it to the entire face and neck, just make the double measure.
7. Removing Facial Hair
Did you know you can remove facial hair using an egg? Of course, you can always go with painful methods such as waxing, but let’s not kid ourselves, nobody likes to do that. Egg white, sugar and corn flour can remove facial hair and make your skin smoother and clearer. Check out how to do it:
You will need: 1 egg white, 1 tablespoon of sugar, ½ tablespoon of corn flour
- Whisk the egg white and add sugar and flour to it
- Stir it well so it looks like a mask
- Apply it to the parts of face you wish to remove hair
- Leave it dry for about 15-20 minutes
- Once it is dry, peel off the mask to remove the hair
Tip: You can repeat the process 3-4 times a week to remove it regularly and completely.